Monday 27 February 2012

Ruskin? What's that then?

Driving along a couple of days ago, I switched on the radio to listen to Radio 4 (as Ian calls it, the "Liquid Guardian") "Desert Island Discs" was just starting. It's not my programme of choice, but as the interviewee was our fellow-Ruskineer John Prescott, I carried on listening.

The presenter began by talking about Prescott's early life as a salty sea-dog & prompted him to develop the theme. "Let's see what memories he has of Ruskin", I thought. None, apparently - or at least none he wanted to share. The Pie-eater went straight on to talk about Hull University & what a valuable opportunity it had been for him. No mention of Ruskin, the broader movement behind it, or even his own NUS.

Maybe that's what happens when you put on the Gilbert & Sullivan comic-opera costume & people start calling you "Lord" / "Lady" / "Your Earlship" etc.

I wonder what the excuse of certain others is....

Onwards to peace & internationalism!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm....

    John Prescott and his Ruskin legacy. You'll rarely find the bruiser used in College publicity and his 'never read a book me - and look at the man I am' approach does Ruskin a disservice.

    So, rise Lord Prescott of whereveritis, and allow your history tutor, Raph Sam, to turn slowly in his grave as you squander the hours you wasted on your education.

    ReplyDelete